Start of content

Report suspected economic crime

Suspicions of economic crimes within the Swedish Economic Crime Authority’s area of responsibility can be reported to the office of each respective region via letter or e-mail.

The easiest way to report a suspicion of economic crime is to use our form Report a suspected economic crime. The form also specifies which different types of crime we investigate.

The Swedish Economic Crime Authority investigates economic crime in all of Sweden. The agency investigates tax evasion crimes, false accounting, bankruptcy-related crimes, market abuse and EU fraud.

If you suspect that you have been subjected to fraud or attempted fraud, for example through advertising or credit card fraud, you shall primarily report it to the police where you live.

What do I do?

The report form can be digitally filled out, saved and printed, or printed and filled out by hand. The completed and signed form can then be scanned and submitted via e-mail or post to the local registrar.

Download the report form here (Swedish)

Send the signed report to your closest Economic Crime Authority office:

Box 820

Box 431

Box 342
201 23 MALMÖ

Box 432

Box 3198
90304 UMEÅ

Box 898
751 08 UPPSALA

What will happen to my report?

Reports are handed to a police officer or prosecutor. They will then decide whether to open a preliminary investigation.

If a preliminary investigation is opened, anything that may be of importance to the criminal case will be investigated. The investigation can consist of interviews along with a review of the accounts or other documents of interest. Sometimes, we will need to take coercive measures, such as search of premises or deprivation of liberty.

The duration of the investigation depends on the complexity of the case. As a general rule, the preliminary investigation will be confidential.

Once the preliminary investigation has been completed, the prosecutor decides whether to press charges and submits an indictment to the district court. When the district court has received an indictment, the preliminary investigation becomes public. If it is a matter of a less serious crime, a summary imposition of a fine can be issued.

The district court schedules a main hearing in the case and summons the parties. After the hearing, the district court issues a judgment. The court’s judgment can most often be appealed to the court of appeal.

Published 2011-07-11. Updated 2019-08-05

Tell us who you are

and we will give you relevant links